Dear Campus Community,
UCI’s commitment to inclusive excellence is all the more important in the wake of the presidential election. The election certainly underscored the strength of our democracy. At the same time, the contentious campaign rhetoric engendered fears and reinforced concerns about the capacity of our society to be diverse and inclusive. As a proudly diverse campus community, it is important for us to stand together as one.
Our campus vision of inclusive excellence rests within each of us. This vision seeks to build and sustain a community where all expect equity, support diversity, and practice inclusion. At the core of this vision is our individual capacity for empathy for others who are different from us. Bigotry has no place in this vision. As we know all too well, bigotry thrives in the absence of understanding and in the face of indifference. Each of the underlying pillars of inclusive excellence—equity, diversity and inclusion—invites us to place ourselves in the shoes of others and to listen and learn. This emphatic engagement is neither always comfortable nor yields an easy answer. But, it reminds us that we individually contribute to the fabric of the UCI community.
There are many opportunities and resources to strengthen our campus community. Below are several ways that each of us can advance inclusive excellence at UCI.
Expect Equity, Support Diversity, and Practice Inclusion!
Douglas M. Haynes
Vice Provost for Academic Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
UCI Inclusive Excellence Resources
- UC Regents’ Principles Against Intolerance
- UC Guidelines for Addressing Race and Gender Equity in Academic Programs
- Chancellor’s Advisory Council on Climate, Culture and Inclusion Homepage for Events and Program Information
- Office of Inclusive Excellence Homepage for Events and Searchable Diversity Opportunities Database
- Cross Cultural Center: Diversity and Social Justice Education (Student Affairs)
- “Our Class”, December 1st-4th, XMPL, Contemporary Arts Center (Department of Drama)
- What Matters To Me & Why Speakers Series (Chancellor’s Advisory Council on Climate, Culture and Inclusion)
- DECADE Speakers Series (Graduate Division)
- New Narratives: Conversations on Identities & Culture (Student Affairs)
Become an Ally:
- AB540 and Undocumented Student Ally Training (Student Outreach and Retention Center)
- Safe Zone Training for Allies of the LGBTQ Community (Lesbian, Gay, Bi-Sexual and Transgender Resource Center)
- Managing Distress in the University Community (UC Irvine Wellness, Health, & Counseling Services)
- Diversity Development Program (Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity)
- disAbility Ally Training for Faculty and Staff (Disability Services Center)