Recipients of the 2016-17 Inclusive Excellence Spirit Awards at UCI provide innovative approaches to advance diversity, equity and inclusion. An array of eight projects representing five academic units are currently underway across the campus.
The projects range from clinical research to reduce post-surgery pain for vulnerable populations, to a math festival to raise awareness about issues limiting student success, to explorations through song, language, disciplinary forums, and other modes that highlight unique cultural contributions in arts, humanities and other areas.
Sponsored by the UCI ADVANCE program, the Spirit Awards may be funded up to $5,000. All funded proposals aim to address at least one of five aspirational campus goals:
- Deepen understanding of race, gender, class, sexuality, immigration status and/or other identities
- Promote emotional intelligence and intercultural competency
- Build and sustain partnerships with community-based organizations
- Advance achievement in educationally disadvantaged communities
- Contribute to an affirmative climate for all members of the Anteater community.
Honorees for 2016-17 are:
- Zeev Kain, Michelle Fortier, Belinda Campos: Sustaining Researcher-Community Partnerships to Transform Pediatric Surgical Care to Better Serve Latino Families
- Simon Leung: Three Essays on Racial Melancholy Across Time
- Alessandra Pantano: UCI Diversity in Mathematics Festival
- Paul Piff: Reducing Anxiety in Interclass Interactions Through Cross-class Friendship and Improving Psychological Educational Outreach
- Darryl Taylor: 20th Anniversary African American Art Song Alliance Conference
- Julio Torres: Symposium on Spanish as a Heritage Language
- Tiffany Willoughby-Herard: Evicting Our Best: The Political Work of Doing Political Science as a Scholar of Color at UC Irvine
- Sheron Wray: Toward a Research Center for Reconnecting the African Diaspora
Call for proposals for the 2017-18 cycle will open September 2017, with proposals due October 31, 2017. For additional information about the awards, please visit the Office of Inclusive Excellence website.
Office of Inclusive Excellence