kayla-richardson-wtrack-2021-in-their-own-words

In Their Own Words: Kayla Richardson

Kayla Richardson is a multiple all-conference performer with four podium finishes, including three event wins, at the 2021 Big West Track & Field Championships. Two weeks ago, she became the first Anteater to double in the 100m and 200m at the conference meet since 1991, while she also contributed to UCI’s first-place 4x100 and second-place 4x400 relays. In the 100m, Richardson ran a season-best and NCAA regional qualifying time of 11.65. She ranks second in school history in both the 100m and 200m (23.90). 

The Walnut, Calif., native is a graduate transfer from USC where she was an NCAA West Preliminary qualifier and established a Philippine national record 53.81 in the 400m. She also competed for the Philippine National Team, winning gold in the women’s 100m at the 2015 Southeast Asian Games in Singapore. Below, Kayla shares in her own words, her story as a member of both the Asian American Pacific Islander (AAPI) and Black communities.

Being proud of my Filipino heritage is something that has continued to develop as I've grown up and gone through different experiences. My grandparents Felixberto and Ludivina Maico immigrated to the United States from the Philippines with their 3 children, despite their love for the life they had in Zamboanga, in order to give their family a better life with greater opportunities. Spending a lot of my childhood with my grandparents I've heard many stories about their life in the Philippines and how our family started. Even after hearing all the stories and learning about the Filipino culture, I was still unsure about what it all meant. When I was a little girl, my 3 sisters and I would go everywhere with my grandparents and we would all get stared at often. Being half Filipino and half Black, I knew we looked different from my grandparents, but I wasn't able to fully understand. It was something that we just recognized and laughed off, but it still made me uncomfortable with who I was in certain settings. As a mixed race individual, I never felt like I completely fit in with either side of my heritage. It wasn't until I got to high school that I was able to fully embrace and appreciate my biracial heritage and be proud and comfortable with who I was. 

During my years in high school I was given an opportunity that allowed me to connect with the Filipino culture on an even deeper level, I had the opportunity to begin representing the Philippines and join their National Track and Field team. Travelling to the Philippines for the first time my freshman year of high school, I was very nervous to be leaving the country for the first time, but I was welcomed with such a great amount of hospitality that made me feel like I was at home and surrounded by family. Hospitality is definitely an important part of Filipino culture, they can make anyone feel welcome and comfortable. After my trip, I was introduced to a new perspective on my background, my life, my culture, and my appreciation for everything that I have. It was an extremely humbling experience and it made me even more proud to be half Filipino, and motivated me to represent such a beautiful country in the best possible way. The opportunities that being a member of the AAPI community has given me are immense and I am forever grateful and proud to represent the Philippines in the sport that I love. 

My parents, Jeffrey and Kieyana Richardson, raised me to be proud of everything that I am, to be proud to be both Filipino and Black. Since I was young, they have always taught me that I am a representation of not only myself, but my family as well. It has always been important to me to present myself in the best way and make my parents and my grandparents proud. By putting my best foot forward in everything I do in life, I am able to continue showing my appreciation for all of the sacrifices that my family has made to get me to where I am today. Having a unique perspective by being a member of both the AAPI and Black communities, it is very clear that ignorance is the common denominator in many cases where individuals are affected by violence, hate, and racism. Through education and open conversation there is hope that we can break down these barriers and understand that we should celebrate our differences and enjoy the unique gifts that we all have to offer. 

kayla-richardson-wtrack-2021-big-west-champ
kayla-richardson-wtrack-2021-100m-bwc