Academy for Inclusive Excellence
The theme of the day-long academy is "Growth that Makes a Difference". The featured presenter will be Dr. Beth Mitchneck, a Professor of Geography at the University of Arizona. Dr. Mitchneck served as the Director of the National Science Foundation ADVANCE Program from 2012 to 2015. In her interactive keynote address, Dr. Mitchneck will draw upon her recent Science article entitled, “A recipe for change: Creating a more inclusive academy”.
As the event approaches, check back for updates on speakers, presentations, and additional resources.
A digital version of the program is available here: 2016 Academy for Inclusive Excellence Agenda
The academy program is built around UCI's signature peer-to-peer model of faculty engagement for inclusive excellence across all fields and disciplines. The morning and afternoon breakout sessions are organized around the specific roles of ADVANCE Equity Advisors and the DECADE Graduate Program Mentors. Topics include faculty recruitment and retention, as well as graduate student admissions and degree completion. In equipping faculty to lead through inclusive excellence, these sessions will be informed by critical components of campus accountability, namely goals, metrics and strategies.
The morning session will consist of:
- Campus Strategic Plan: Growth that Makes a Difference - Douglas Haynes, Vice Provost for Academic Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
- Keynote: "A recipe for change: Creating a more inclusive academy" - Beth Mitchneck, Professor of Geography, University of Arizona
- Equity Advisor Roles and Responsibilities and DECADE Mentor Roles and Responsibilities - Douglas Haynes, Vice Provost of Academic Equity, Diversity & Inclusion and Roxane Cohen Silver, Associate Director of the ADVANCE Program and Professor of Psychology & Social Behavior
The afternoon session will consist of:
- Breakout session
- Plan for Graduate Growth; Search Presentation Material - Frances Leslie, Vice Provost for Graduate Education and Dean of the Graduate Divison and Roxane Cohen Silver, Associate Director of the ADVANCE Program and Professor of Psychology & Social Behavior
- Campus Faculty Recruitment Programs; Faculty Hiring and Equity Advisor Responsibilities - Diane O'Dowd, Vice Provost for Academic Personnel and Douglas Haynes, Vice Provost for Academic Equity, Diversity & Inclusion
- Work-Life Integration: A research progress report - Wendy Goldberg, Professor and Associate Dean for the School of Social Ecology
Recommended pre-reading by speaker can be found by clicking on the speaker's name in the Program section.
A list of all recommended reading for the event:
- Loaded Questions: http://www.asbmb.org/asbmbtoday/201608/LoadedQuestions/
- A Recipe for Change: http://advance.wvu.edu/proposal/publications
- Mothers Work Life Balance in the Academy: https://www.timeshighereducation.com/features/mothers-work-life-balance-in-the-academy/2006036.article
UCI Strategic Plan
"A recipe for change: Creating a more inclusive academy" by Beth Mitchneck
UCI Applicant Statement on Previous and/or Potential Contributions to Diversity
UC President's Postdoctoral Fellowship Program
UCI Chancellor's ADVANCE Postdoctoral Fellowship Program
"Toward Inclusive Excellence in Graduate Education: Constructing Merit and Diversity in PhD Admissions" by Julie Posselt