Inclusive Excellence Term Chair Program
Call for Nominations Due by April 15
The Inclusive Excellence Term Chair (IE Term Chair) Program is envisioned to transform UCI through research, teaching, and service aligned to the priorities of its Black Thriving Initiative. The IE Term Chair program leverages the research and capacities of the campus to broaden UCI’s response to designated national imperatives.
A maximum of one proposal package per each academic unit dean may be submitted no later than 5 p.m. PT on Thursday, April 15. Nominees must be active Academic Senate members.
Proposals are due from deans’ offices by 5 p.m. PT, on Thursday, April 15.
Inaugural Cohort Theme
The theme for the inaugural cohort of the Inclusive Excellence Term Chair is Black Thriving. This theme aligns with the UCI Black Thriving Initiative (BTI). Developed in response to the national reckoning about anti-Black racism, this initiative recognizes and responds to anti-Blackness as an existential threat to our society. As a university-wide response, BTI mobilizes the campus community to confront anti-Blackness, advance understanding about the Black experience and drivers of wellbeing and link the future of UCI to Black people and the success of Black communities.
The inaugural theme also aligns with a broader action plan for inclusive excellence at UCI. Submitters should ensure that proposed activities address Black thriving in key areas of thriving at UCI (e.g., advancing equity, promoting inclusion, recognizing diversity as a competency, etc.). Please find additional details about the UCI Action Plan for Inclusive Excellence (https://inclusion.uci.edu/action-plan/).
Term Chairs Award and Expectations
The campus will award Inclusive Excellence Term Chairs to five tenured senate faculty. The term of each chair is three years. Incumbents will receive $30,000 each annually to support their research, teaching and service activities to advance the program theme. Use of these funds must conform to UCI and UC policies. Term chairs will deliver a public lecture in the program series, participate in a campus hosted conference, and consult with the Office of Inclusive Excellence on the Inclusive Excellence Action Plan to develop and enact programmatic activities consistent with the requirements of the Inclusive Excellence Term Chairs Program.
Nomination Process and Notification
Each school may nominate one qualifying faculty for the Inclusive Excellence Term Chair program.
The 5-page nomination PDF must include:
- a supportive memo from the school dean that addresses research and/or creative activity, teaching and service in relation to the designated theme (1 page maximum),
- a written plan from the nominee about the research, teaching and service to be conducted during the term period related to BTI and the review criteria (2 pages maximum), and
- a current biographical sketch of the nominee with relevant research, teaching, and service noted (2 pages maximum).
Awardees will be selected by a campus committee chaired by the vice chancellor for equity, diversity, and inclusion and notifications will be shared in May 2021.
Review Criteria focuses on:
- Scholarship, research, and professional productivity advancing the Black experience and serving as drivers of wellbeing for UCI and external community members;
- Discussion about the extent to which the nominee’s planned work contributes in one or more of the following ways to:
- advance the university’s standing and impact;
- build on existing strengths and/or pave new paths;
- catalyze new interschool or campus-wide collaborations and initiatives; and
- enhance graduate and undergraduate education (i.e., contribute directly to undergraduate education in the classroom in addition to mentoring undergraduate and graduate students in the generation of new knowledge).
Submit a school nomination for the Inclusive Excellence Term Chair by 5 p.m. PT on Thursday, April 15.
Awardees will be announced in May 2021!
Annual Use Reports are due June 30 from Inclusive Excellence Term Chairs during their active award periods.