Inclusive Excellence Alumni Fund
Call for Proposal
The Alumni Fund call solicits proposals to advance the UCI Office of Inclusive Excellence Action Plan.
UCI is more diverse today than it was in 1965, when the campus opened to welcome students, staff and faculty. But, is it more equitable and more inclusive? The UCI strategic plan Bright Past. Brilliant Future. aims to mobilize the campus in the service of inclusive excellence. At the center of this vision is the imperative to expect equity, support diversity, practice inclusion, and honor free speech. The Inclusive Excellence Certificate Program advances UCI’s commitment to these principles.
Competitive proposals will align with the Office of Inclusive Excellence Action Plan. Using the Action Plan pillars as a lens, proposers are encouraged to explore how to advance community, thriving, and wellness at UCI. All staff and students who complete the certificate program (i.e., the core course, UCI as a Minority Thriving University, plus at least one of the program electives, either Wellness or Community) are eligible to apply. (Please note: faculty who complete the certificate program are eligible to submit a proposal to the Inclusive Excellence Spirit Awards program.)
Funding will be provided for single- and multiple-investigator projects up to $1,000 that reflect at least one of the following OIE Action Plan goals:
- create positive climate, promote belonging, combat intolerance, honor free speech
- elevate Minority Thriving, educate and employ for diversity, advance equity, promote inclusion, recognize diversity as a competency
- facilitate access, promote Thriving, create health culture, and lead collaboration
Type of Projects Funded/Fund Use
Projects may build on Inclusive Excellence Certificate Program course content and/or discussion. All proposed projects must align with the OIE Action Plan.
Funding must be used solely for project activities according to UCI policies governing state funds. Students are required to identify a host academic or co-curricular unit to facilitate use of funds.
Submissions will be prioritized by a review committee, accompanied by recommendations for funding. Total funding is subject to change and based on the funds available at the time of funding decisions. The Office of Inclusive Excellence expects to fund a total of 25 projects.
Only complete submissions will be considered; incomplete submissions will be returned.
A complete submission must include a completed online form (https://uciadvance.wufoo.com/forms/mdgxlmv0hxbqg1/) and one PDF proposal (maximum 2 typed pages) with the following components:
- Abstract/Summary (maximum 150 words)
- Statement of Need/Project Purpose
- Project Activity, Methods/Approaches, Proposed Outcomes
- Evaluation of How Project Success will be Measured
- Plans for Dissemination
- Significance of the Project
- Budget and Budget Narrative
Complete submissions must be received online by 5pm (Pacific time) on Friday, October 16, 2020.
Lead contacts for all projects funded from this call accept responsibilities to:
- Provide image(s) and abstracts for online project promotion
- Complete mid-year and annual project updates on expenses and advancement of project goals
- Request advance approval from the Office of Inclusive Excellence in writing for any changes in fund uses or funded project activities
- Participate in a video-recorded interview and public forum to communicate findings and project outcomes
- Complete a Project Use Report and expend all funds by October 31, 2021