BFF: Black & Asian Feminist Solidarities – 2nd Reading Group ♥
Friday, Jul 9, 2021 @ 12:00 pm - 1:30 pm
- This event has passed.
BFF: Black & Asian Feminist Solidarities – 2nd Reading Group (Friday, July 9)
“Building power through community conversations” with Erica Turley-De Villa & Jenny Fan
How to build community? We will use this session to get to know one another and be in conversation, the readings will serve as reference. We hope attendees come ready to listen and share with one another. It is not intended to be an academic discussion. This event is hosted by X Black Womxn Daily, AAPI Womxn in Leadership, and Academic & Professional Women at UCI, but all are welcome.
Please prepare for the discussion by reading the following two articles prior to the event:
1. Nail Salon Brawls & Boycotts: Unpacking The Black-Asian Conflict In America: https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2018/08/207533/red-apple-nails-brawl-black-asian-conflict
2. AAPF Mourns the Loss of Life in Georgia: https://www.aapf.org/post/aapf-statement-on-anti-asian-attacks
*In addition, optional readings below:
• Dear Mari Matsuda & Kimberlé Crenshaw, — Love Letters to Movement Leaders: https://www.movementloveletters.org/loveletters/mari-kimberle
• Mari Matsuda: Critical Race Theory is not Anti-Asian: http://reappropriate.co/2021/03/mari-matsuda-critical-race-theory-is-not-anti-asian/
12:00pm – 12:05pm Welcome/Introductions
12:05pm – 12:10pm Event intentions/Reading summaries
12:10pm – 12:15pm Community agreements
12:15pm – 1:00pm Conversation (breakout rooms)
1:00pm – 1:30pm Social time! We will use this time to connect in a casual setting and discuss articles if desired
*The event runs from 12pm – 1:30pm pst, but we understand if you cannot be there for the entirety of the event.
Please note: you do not need to identify as Black or Asian to join in this conversation. We welcome everyone and anyone interested in sharing and learning from one another. Again, we ask that you please read the two articles prior to joining the event.
Through this event, we hope to:
• Reimagine how we put these topics into context in the UCI environment
• Come up with action items we stand by as a collective group
• Brainstorm ways to build the community we want to see
• Create a space for care and support, but also find space to strategize ways to dismantle oppressive structures together
Best First Friday (BFF): Black & Asian Feminist Solidarities – Reading Group Organizers