We announce a Parenting in Grad School and Beyond! workshop. Although the workshop is mostly geared toward graduate students, everybody who is interested is invited to attend.
The workshop will take place Wednesday, December 4 from 1-2pm in Rowland Hall 306. We will start with an overview of available sources to students, including important contacts and forms expecting parents should know, and end with a panel with experienced parents.
Topics covered will include:
- An overview of what having a child entails while at UCI, highlighting:
- the Childbirth Accommodation Fund, as contracted through UAW.
- the UCSHIP insurance (specifically), including what expected out-of-pocket expenses can be, and what services should be covered or what percentage of service one could expect to be covered. Also, what are after-delivery services that one should be cognizant of (e.g., well-check services), and also how to make sure one’s child is added to insurance (outside of open enrollment windows).
- An overview of child care services that one has access to through UCI, or off-campus, including:
- What are expected costs of these services, and what flexibility do these options offer (e.g., 3 days a week, half-days).
- How long one would expect to be on a wait-list for child care.
- We would highlight the UAW contracted quarterly Childcare Reimbursement we have access to to partially offset these expenses.
- Some other sources can include how to ask for services for children with special needs. In particular, how one can partner with IUSD to get access to (free) services.
- Where to find locations of dedicated nursing rooms on campus.
- Varied topics that arise in questions from the audience.
Additionally, for those that are planning on starting a family but are near the end of their program, we would like to give some varied perspectives that have gone through this process outside of UCI in post-docs elsewhere.