2017 Institute for Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
The Inclusive Excellence (formerly ADVANCE) Institute for Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, is entering its eleventh installment as an enduring venue for institutional transformation. The Institute brings together faculty leaders from UCI, the University of California, and universities and colleges from the greater southern California region.
The theme of this year’s institute is “Inclusive Curriculum and Pedagogy.” This theme refers to using teaching and curricular practices to support equity and inclusion, as well as to attain specific UCI strategic priorities. By bringing together key stakeholders from academic schools and student affairs to review goals, metrics, and strategies for inclusive excellence, the institute program is designed to improve coordination, communication and collaboration, in order to enhance student success in all of our academic programs.
Please check back for updates on speakers, presentation materials, and additional resources.
The 11th annual Inclusive Excellence Institute for Equity, Diversity and Inclusion will take place on Tuesday, September 19, 9:00 am - 4:15 pm. Please see the complete program for further information.
- Changing Demographics and Inclusive Learning in Higher Education - Robert Teranishi, Professor in Asian American Studies, and Professor of Education in the Graduate School of Education & Information Studies, University of California, Los Angeles
- A Review and Exploration of Student Success Trends - Ryan Cherland, Assistant Vice Chancellor for Institutional Research and Decision Support
- COMPASS Demonstration - Briandy Walden, Associate Director, Student & Academic Services, Office of Information Technology and Raymond Vadnais, User Experience Architect, Office of Information Technology
- Valuing and Evaluating Teaching in the Merit and Promotion Process - Diane O'Dowd, Vice Provost for Academic Personnel, Howard Hughes Medical Institute Professor of Development & Cell Biology in the School of Biological Sciences, and Professor of Anatomy & Neurobiology in the School of Medicine
- Diversifying the Faculty and Creating Inclusive Classrooms - Nicole Weekes, Associate Dean of the College and Professor of Neuroscience Pomona College
- Cultural Surprises in Pedagogy - Michael Dennin, Vice Provost for Teaching and Learning, Dean for the Division of Undergraduate Education, and Professor of Physics in the School of Physical Sciences
- Panel Conversation: Creating Inclusive Supports and Professional Readiness among Diverse Students - Suzanna Helbig, Director, UCI Career Center, Division of Student Affairs; Kevin Huie, Director, Student Success Initiatives, Division of Undergraduate Education; Raslyn Rendon, Director, Graduate Alumni Relations, Graduate Division; Rameen Talesh, Assistant Vice Chancellor for Student Life & Leadership, Division of Student Affairs; Donald Williams, Director, Office of Student Affairs, School of Physical Sciences
- 2007 HARPER & HURTADO nine themes in campus racial climates and implications for institutional transformation
- GASMAN - 2016 MSI lessons learned
- 2014 TERANISHI measuring impact of msi funded programs on student success
Office of Institutional Research
Office of Academic Personnel
Division of Undergraduate Education
UCI Career Center
Student Life and Leadership
The institute will be held in Yosemite Ballroom, Division of Continuing Education Building 1 (building 8 on the campus map). The nearest parking structure is the Anteater Parking Structure, located at E. Peltason Dr. and Anteater Dr. The Division of Continuing Education is located off E. Peltason Dr. between Pereira Dr. and Palo Verde Rd.
For specific direction, please use this interactive map.
Please see walking directions from the Anteater Parking Structure to Continuing Education Building 1: