The Inclusive Excellence (formerly ADVANCE) Institute for Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, is entering its tenth installment as an enduring venue for institutional transformation. The Institute brings together faculty leaders from UCI, the University of California, and universities and colleges from the greater southern California region.
The theme of this year's institute is "First in Class". This theme refers to one of the four major pillars of UCI's recently launched strategic plan entitled Bright Past. Brilliant Future. By bringing together key stakeholders from academic schools and student affairs to review goals, metrics and strategies for inclusive excellence, the institute program is designed to improve coordination, communication and collaboration to fortify student success in all of our academic programs.
As the event approaches, check back for updates on speakers, presentations, and additional resources.
The 10th annual Inclusive Excellence Institute for Equity, Diversity and Inclusion will take place on Thursday, September 15, 9:00 am - 3:00 pm.
The program is divided into morning and afternoon sessions. The morning will focus on setting the context for inclusive excellence. For further information regarding a specific speaker and to prepare for their presentations, please click the speaker's name.
- UCI'S new strategic plan: UCI: Bright Past, Brilliant Future - Judy Stepan-Norris, Vice Provost of Academic Planning
- Our Student Landscape: Enrollment Trends and Challenges at UCI - Ryan Cherland, Assistant Vice Chancellor for Institutional Research and Decision Support
- Engaging a Diverse Nation: Lessons from Minority Serving Institutions - Keynote Speaker: Marybeth Gasman, Professor of Higher Education & Director, Penn Center for Minority Serving Institution
The focus of the afternoon session is to build capacity for inclusive excellence with teams from student affairs and academic schools. At this time, confirmed presenters include:
- Recent Research on Improving Student Success - Richard Arum, Dean and Professor, UCI School of Education
- Promoting Graduate Success: Diversity, Professional Development, and Excellence - Susan Bibler Coutin - Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, Graduate Division and Professor of Criminology, Law and Society and Anthropology
- Classroom Climate Initiative: Inclusive Excellence Pedagogy - what is it and how to implement it. - Michael Dennin, Vice Provost for Teaching and Learning and Dean of Division of Undergraduate Education