Inclusive Excellence Activity Statement in the Faculty Search Process
- Vice Provost Haynes Memo to Deans and Chairs
- Requirement of Faculty Applicant Statements on Contributions to Inclusive Excellence
Steps In Recruitment Process
Diversity-Considerations-in-Faculty-Hiring-PPT-formatted – document highlights steps in the faculty search process, as well as several best practices and UC guides.
Equity Advisor Guidance to Faculty Search Committees - May 2022 - highlights opportunities to engage equity advisors in search consultations and mandatory approval responsibilities of equity advisors
OIE Best Practice Toolkit – Faculty Recruitment – Sept 2021
Required Text for Senate Faculty Recruitment Ads
Statement on Contributions to Diversity
“A separate statement that addresses past and/or potential contributions to diversity, equity and inclusion must also be included in the application materials.”
Equal Opportunity Statement at the End of the Ad
“The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy. A recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity, UCI is responsive to the needs of dual career couples, supports work-life balance through an array of family-friendly policies, and is dedicated to broadening participation in higher education.”
“The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.”
Staff Advocacy & Outreach Groups – selected organizations and professional societies focusing on the advancement of diverse faculty, including women and faculty of color
Southern Regional Education Board (SREB) resources include: free job posting services for 120 days, and UCI-paid subscription services to access its Doctoral Scholars Program Directory. The Doctoral Scholars Program Directory showcases over 1,000 individuals from several resources, including: The Southern Regional Education Board (SREB), The National Institutes of Health (Bridges to the Professoriate NIGMS-MARC), The Alfred P. Sloan Indigenous Graduate Partnership (SIGP), National Science Foundation Alliances for Graduate Education and the Professoriate (AGEP), The National Science Foundation Directorate for Social, Behavioral & Economic Sciences (SBE), The Alfred P. Sloan Foundation Minority Ph.D. Program (SLOAN).
For access to the Doctoral Scholars Program Directory, please click on the SREB DSP link and select “Search Scholar Directory.” You may enter desired search terms and enter “search” for results. You may download results by clicking the “export” button at the end of your results.
The Registry - Texas Tech the National Registry of Diverse and Strategic Faculty - contact UCI Academic Personnel for sign-in information
University of California President’s Postdoctoral Fellowship Program/UC Chancellor’s Fellowship Program Directory: a searchable index of UC PPFP/UC CPF participants by discipline.
IE Activities/Diversity Statements
Guidance for Writing and Assessing Inclusive Excellence Activities – provides suggestions for developing and assessing Inclusive Excellence Activities statements.
UC Berkeley Rubric to Assess Candidate Contributions to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion – focuses on assessing the representation of knowledge, track record, and plans for inclusive excellence from candidate statements.
New Faculty Resources Flyer
Applicant Diversity Statement FAQ (PDF)
How does University of California define diversity?
The academic senate adopted in 2009 the following broad definition of diversity:
Diversity - defining features of California past, present and future - refers to a variety of personal experiences, values, and worldviews that arise from differences of culture and circumstance. Such differences include race, ethnicity, gender, age, religion, language, abilities/disabilities, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, geographic region and more.
Why does UC Irvine expect a diversity statement from applicants for faculty positions?
UC Irvine’s commitment to inclusive excellence is integral to our ascendancy among globally preeminent universities. It provides applicants with an opportunity to discuss how their past or future contributions will advance this enduring campus commitment. For more information, please see the Provost’s memo on Inclusive Excellence.
Is the diversity statement consistent with University of California policy?
Yes. APM 210.1 - d , which governs appointment, appraisal and promotion, recommends that faculty be both encouraged and rewarded for activity that promotes inclusive excellence:
“The University of California is committed to excellence and equity in every facet of its mission. Teaching, research, professional and public service contributions that promote diversity and equal opportunity are to be encouraged and given recognition in t he evaluation of the candidate's qualifications. These contributions to diversity and equal opportunity can take a variety of forms including efforts to advance equitable access to education, public service that addresses the needs of California's diverse population, or research in a scholar's area of expertise that highlights inequities.
Is UC Irvine alone among UC campuses in adopting this statement?
No. UC San Diego adopted this statement in 2010.
How will applicants learn about the diversity statement expectation?
Per a June 2014 memo from UCI leadership, all ads for faculty positions will include the following sentence: “Applicants are encouraged to share how their past and/or potential contributions to diversity, equity and inclusion will advance UC Irvine’s commitment to inclusive excellence.”
How does an applicant provide their diversity statement?
There is a dedicated field in UC Recruit for applicants to submit their diversity statement.
If an applicant does not provide a diversity statement, will his or her application be considered incomplete?
What are the components of a diversity statement?
- Provides a statement of contributions to diversity
- Indicates awareness of inequities and challenges in education faced by historically underrepresented or economically disadvantaged groups, and the negative consequences of underutilization
- Demonstrates a track record and measure of success in activities (such as mentoring, teaching or outreach) that aim to reduce barriers in education or research for underrepresented or economically disadvantaged groups
- Specific plans to contribute through campus programs, new activities, or through national or off - campus organizations
What should a diversity statement address?
Be specific when describing the nature and impact of the research, teaching, and service activity that advances access, diversity and equal opportunity.
- How the activity advances equal opportunity and diversity: the ways it explores underrepresented or understudied populations or communities, cultures and practices; or illuminates societal inequalities or disparities
- What the significance or impact of the activity is: how it builds or extends research problems or areas; raises awareness in local or state or national or international contexts; contributes to equitable access to education and broadens participation in higher education through outreach or mentoring or recruitment or student placement; addresses societal disparities or inequalities; or aligns with Category 7 (Multicultural Studies) of the General Education requirements.
- The extent the activity has been recognized: document and describe any and all of the following: competitive funding; any appearance in a peer reviewed journal or publication as a book; significant contribution to high impact online journalism such as a blog or curated web - page; selection for commendation by campus unit, professional association or public service organization; or has the faculty member served on a task force or been elected to a leadership position in an affinity group or a committee within a professional organization.
What should search committees look for in a diversity statement?
Search committees will be provided with an evaluation grid in order to rate a diversity statement along four dimensions. Equity Advisors will also review the evaluation grid during their mandatory presentation to search committees.
What role does the diversity statement have in the selection process?
Departments will discuss the strength of the diversity statement as part of the rationale for the proposed list of short-listed candidate to be invited to campus. Deans will consider diversity statements in their evaluation of finalists.
Are there campus and university resources to learn more about inclusive excellence?
Yes. They include the UC Statement on Diversity and the UCI ADVANCE Program.
For more resources and best practices for faculty recruitment, please visit the ADVANCE resource page under the “Faculty Recruitment” tab.