Call for Applications
This temporary program application deadline is July 2, 2021.
UCI Senate faculty who are parents of children enrolled in grades 6 or under are invited to submit applications by July 2, 2021, for UCI Temporary Research Enhancement Support (T-RES) awards. The awards aim to support the career development of UCI faculty, and provide funds that are taxable and reimburse up to $1,000 for childcare expenses provided at home or by licensed providers observing federal/state/county/UCI health guidelines during times when faculty complete virtual or physically located productivity activities.
UCI Senate faculty members in two-parent households may each apply for awards as long as productivity activities warrant this consideration. Applicants also should research additional childcare options at https://families.uci.edu/backupcare/ and https://childcare.uci.edu/.
As a number of studies have shown, balancing work and family remains a persistent challenge for the knowledge and technology workforce, especially at our nation’s leading research universities. The cost of such dependent care has been shown to inhibit participation which may impair professional visibility as well as networking opportunities at a critical time for pre-tenure faculty. Additionally, evidence is emerging to suggest that the current COVID-19 circumstances strain the abilities of working families to afford and coordinate dependent care consistent with CDC and UCI guidance, particularly for parents of children in early primary grades.
In lieu of opening a call for the ADVANCE Dependent Care Travel Awards Program for winter 2021, the Office of Inclusive Excellence aims to support through this temporary “family friendly” resource, until further advised.
UCI T-RES is open to support childcare costs as described in this call during the period July 5, 2021-September 30, 2021, subject to UCI COVID-19 guidance. This temporary program may be suspended or terminated at any time based on federal, state, county, and/or UCI mandates. Due to limited funds, awards will be prioritized for faculty at senate assistant professor or assistant professor of teaching (PSOE) who have not previously received T-RES awards.
- Applicant is an active Senate faculty member (e.g., assistant professor/associate professor/professor or equivalent; lecturer or sr. lecturer w/SOE; lecturer or sr. lecturer w/PSOE, etc.)
- Applicant has child(ren) enrolled in grade 6 or under and earlier years by the application deadline (updated 2/16/21)
- Applicant must submit online application with required documents by 5 p.m. (Pacific time) on July 2, 2021
T-RES FUNDS WILL NOT REIMBURSE:
- Expenses for in-person childcare provided by any family members (parents, grandparents, siblings) for the care of qualifying child(ren)
- Expenses for in-person childcare associated with teaching or course preparation activities (updated Sept. 11, 2020)
- Any in-person childcare expenses without proper documentation of billing and payment
- Any in-person childcare expenses associated with activities not represented on approved Productivity Activity Budgets.
- PLEASE NOTE: Once awards are approved, there are NO CHANGES, EDITS, OR ADDITIONS to the Productivity Activity Budgets allowed without prior written OIE approval, and awardees will only be reimbursed for approved childcare expenses up to $1,000.
Award notifications will be emailed to the applicant email address provided on this submission no later than the week of July 5, 2021.
Apply by July 2, 2021 for summer 2021 T-RES funding.
T-RES Use Report:
Awardees are required to submit a T-RES Use Report online to the Office of Inclusive Excellence for childcare expense reimbursement no later than 30 days after associated productivity activities are completed. A copy of the submitted T-RES Use Report will be provided automatically to the email of the submission when submitted online at: https://uciadvance.wufoo.com/forms/q1hddhl40v3p8hu/.