UC Hispanic Serving Institutions Doctoral Diversity Initiative
University of California Provost Michael T. Brown originally announced the UC Hispanic Serving Institutions Doctoral Diversity Initiative (HSI-DDI), see Call for Proposals.
By mobilizing the extensive number of federally designated public and private four-year HSIs in California, the initiative aims to transform the professoriate by enhancing pathways to graduate education and supporting graduate student preparation for the professoriate. To this end, the initiative is open to support all students who are currently attending a California HSI based on faculty/project criteria, regardless of race, ethnicity, national origin, sex, or gender identity.
As a HSI campus, UCI faculty and administrators have an opportunity to leverage this initiative as a vehicle to increase participation and success in graduate education, particularly among under-represented populations. UCI aims to increase graduate school applications from all eligible individuals, including underserved communities such as Latinx, African Americans, American Indians/Native Americans, Filipinx, and Pacific Islanders in all disciplines; women in STEM fields; and Asian Americans in humanities and the social sciences.
The HSI-DDI program goals are:
- To increase pathways to UC Ph.D. completion for students from California HSIs
- To expose, encourage and help prepare students for the professoriate
- To encourage research and enrichment collaborations among UC faculty and faculty at partner California HSIs
- To enhance academic program climate via practical interventions to foster an academic culture of inclusion and equity – especially for faculty and students from historically under-represented communities
To attain these goals, the HSI-DDI Initiative supports large and small PI-led projects: large (up to $350,000 to be used within five years) and small (up to $50,000 to be used within two years). Successful proposals are expected to align with the program goals: four for large projects or at least two for small projects.
Below are key milestones for the call for HSI-DDI proposals:
Proposals due by November 14, 2022 at: https://proposalcentral.com/
- Proposal reviews November 2022-January 2023
- Awards announced in April 2023
- Funds available June 2023
For more information and to apply, please visit the UC-HSI DDI webpage: https://www.ucop.edu/graduate-studies/initiatives-outreach/uc-hsi-ddi.html or contact Graduate Studies at firstname.lastname@example.org. For technical help with proposalCENTRAL, please email
email@example.com or call 800-875-2562 (Toll-free U.S. and Canada) or +1-703-964-5840 (Direct Dial International). ProposalCENTRAL customer support is available Monday – Friday from 8:30am - 5:00pm
(ET)/5:30am – 2:00pm (PT).