Join us for virtual recognition and engaging presentations from a group of Chancellor’s Inclusive Excellence Awardees, honoring their distinguished scholarship in brief, TED-style talks.
WHAT: Creating Excellence – A Forum with the Chancellor’s Inclusive Excellence Awardees
WHEN: 1 p.m.-2:30 p.m. PT on Thursday, April 22
The Chancellor’s Inclusive Excellence Award is a two-year, non-renewable appointment for selected new UCI Senate faculty – from newly hired advanced assistant professors to associate professors and professors or equivalent.
- Recognizes the distinguished accomplishment to advance inclusive excellence
- Provides $50,000 to awardees to support continued scholarship, pedagogy, and exemplary service leadership contributing to diversity, equity, and inclusion at UCI
- Engages the campus and community in conversations and explorations of stellar research and awardee contributions during an annual public forum
Candidates interested to join UCI faculty are encouraged to apply to open positions at: recruit.ap.uci.edu/apply
The Chancellor’s Inclusive Excellence Awards advance the UCI Strategic Plan and campus priorities. Awardees will contribute in their own unique ways to extend our understanding about promising research, pedagogy, and leadership to support campus growth and innovation in the following areas.
- Growth that Makes a Difference: Diversifying the Professoriate
- Contributes knowledge and resources to inform the national and international conversations, actions, policies, and theories about diversifying the professoriate
- Develops exemplars and best practices in faculty search and recruitment processes
- Improves campus climate for faculty development and retention.
- First in Class: Advancing a Minority Thriving Campus
- Transforms the campus designation as a Minority Serving Institution (Hispanic-Serving Institution and Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander-Serving Institution) to practices, programs, and policies that create minority-thriving learning communities
- Envisions, enables, and enacts changes to systemically increase diverse student access and engagement – particularly for African American, American Indian, Hispanic, first-generation, low-income, veterans, LGBTQ, women in STEM fields, and other student groups historically under-represented in enrollment and graduation
- Translates theories, pedagogical practices, creative activities, or experimental strategies into activities with measurable impacts for undergraduate, graduate student, postdoctoral scholar, or alumni career success. Impactful activities may include: creating multiple pathways for college access and success, enhancing students’ career readiness, decreasing student financial burdens during college, improving students’ completion of advising and degree milestones, and fostering high-impact learning and research engagement.
- Great Partners: Creating a Public Space for Ideas and Issues Relevant to Orange County and Its Community Members
- Demonstrates community and global partnerships to extend inclusive excellence through hosting national symposia, creative exhibits, training workshops and other forums
- Fosters opportunities across and within disciplinary boundaries to show consilience and collaborations in applying scholarly inquiry and creative activities in examining the human condition, applying engineering, meeting contemporary challenges in the social, physical, or biological sciences, conveying discovery and socially just supports of diversity, equity, inclusion, and free speech.
For Deans Nominating Faculty
All academic unit deans may nominate eligible new faculty by the deadline dates below for consideration for Chancellor’s Inclusive Excellence Awards.
Nominations should be in the form of PDFs emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- Dean’s letter – including nominee name, appointing department, position title/rank, salary control number, and anticipated appointment start date. Dean’s letter also should reflect nominee’s demonstrated accomplishments and activities to support diversity, equity, and inclusion at UCI aligned to the award areas. Also, please include the monetary contribution to this award that is confirmed from the nominating dean. [One page maximum]
- Presentation of nominee appointment materials demonstrating accomplishments related to inclusive excellence – including, at minimum, curriculum vitae, and all statements submitted on scholarship/research, teaching, and inclusive excellence activities.
Eligible nominees would include: New tenure-track or new tenured faculty hired in any academic unit during 2019-20 or during 2020-21 at UCI as Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, or Professor (or equivalent). Hire dates at UCI must begin no earlier than July 1, 2020, or be no later than June 30, 2022, and nominee must be identified from a regular department-based search managed through AP Recruit with an associated salary control number (SC#). Nominees with current or immediate past appointments from other University of California campuses are not eligible for consideration.
Deans are asked to submit their nominations by May 7, 2021. Any future nomination calls will be based on the availability of awards.
Frequently Asked Questions
The Chancellor’s Inclusive Excellence Awards Program (Chancellor’s Awards) is a pilot program at the University of California, Irvine, funded through an Advancing Faculty Diversity grant from the UC Office of the President. This program aims to attract diverse ladder-rank faculty to recognize their deep scholarship on inclusive excellence and potential contributions at UCI. Awardees will serve in this role for two years during the 2020-21 and 2021-22 period.
Selected nominated scholars who accept these awards will receive a minimum budget of $50,000 total for their two-year term. All funds will need to be expended no later than April 2, 2022, regardless of award appointment date.
There is no limit to the number of eligible new hires who may be nominated for the Chancellor’s Inclusive Excellence Awards.
Eligible nominees would include: New tenure-track or new tenured faculty (Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, or Professor (or equivalent) hired in any academic unit with hire dates no earlier than July 1, 2020, or no later than June 30, 2022. A nominee must be identified from a regular department-based search managed through AP Recruit with an associated salary control number (SC#). UC President’s Postdoctoral Fellowship Program/UC Chancellor’s Postdoctoral Fellowship participants who have been recruited and hired through a regular department-based search managed through AP Recruit with an associated salary control number are eligible for consideration. Nominees with current or immediate past faculty appointments from other University of California campuses are not eligible for consideration.
Deans are requested to forward nominations for the 2019-20 academic year by 5 p.m. (Pacific) on the following dates for monthly consideration:
- January 6, 2020
- February 3, 2020
- March 2, 2020
- April 6, 2020
- May 4, 2020
Nominations for 2020-2021 are accepted by 5 p.m. on the following dates:
- September 8, 2020 (Tuesday)
- October 5, 2020
- November 2, 2020
- December 1, 2020 (Tuesday)
- January 11, 2021
- February 1, 2021
- March 1, 2021
- April 5, 2021
- May 7, 2021 (Friday)
Award notifications will be coordinated with academic schools/unit deans to coincide within receipt of UCI appointment letters. These award notifications will be made on an ongoing basis.
Up to 10 awardees will be made during the 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 academic years.
Upon selecting their candidate for an offer of academic appointment in the eligible JPF recruitments, selection chair must: 1) complete the AP Recruit chair survey, and 2) request the dean to nominate the finalist of interest. The dean’s nomination should be emailed as one PDF on dean letterhead to: email@example.com; Subject line: CHANCELLOR’S INCLUSIVE EXCELLENCE AWARD NOMINEE. The nomination letter should include: nominee name, appointment department, appointment start date (Month Day, Year), curriculum vitae, and all statements submitted on scholarship/research, teaching, and inclusive excellence activities, and SC# for the completed recruitment.
PLEASE NOTE: A campus-wide selection committee will review all nominations in as timely a manner as possible and deans may check in on status at any time at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nominees will be reviewed for their demonstrated scholarship, teaching, and service, including the information provided in the candidate’s Inclusive Excellence Activities Statement (Statement of Contributions to Diversity).
Selected nominees will have approximately three weeks to accept the Chancellor’s Inclusive Excellence Awards to the Vice Chancellor for Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion.