Awaken’s Challenging Anti-Asian Racism and Xenophobia during COVID-19 Webinar ♥ ★ ✚
Thursday, May 21, 2020 @ 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
- This event has passed.
Rising cases of COVID-19, global shutdown, stock market crash, mass layoffs… there is no doubt many of our lives have been turned upside down in just a few short weeks. With 24/7 news updates and alarms going off in all directions, there is a thick air of overwhelm and anxiety across the globe.
In this session, we discussed how this panic and anxiety are impacting Asian communities. We identified ways to respond to anti-Asian racism and show our Asian/Asian American communities that we care.
About the Event Facilitators:
Christine Wang (Pronouns: she/her)
Christine is a coach, consultant, and facilitator working at the intersections of equity, organizational development, and leadership. Prior to starting her independent consulting practice, Christine was the associate director for a philanthropic program focused on leadership and organizational development for nonprofit grantees. She sits on the board of the Asian Women’s Shelter, a multilingual, multi-ethnic organization working to eliminate domestic violence by promoting the social, economic and political self-determination of women.
Michelle Kim (Pronouns: she/her)
Michelle is the Co-Founder & CEO of Awaken. Michelle graduated from UC Berkeley’s Haas School of Business with a passion for social entrepreneurship and social justice. Michelle’s expertise in organizational change management, strategic goal setting, and social justice activism set the groundwork for Awaken’s multidisciplinary and action-oriented learning programs. As an immigrant queer woman of color, Michelle has been a lifelong social justice activist and a community organizer, serving on a variety of organizations such as the San Francisco LGBTQ Speakers Bureau and the UC LGBTIQ Association Steering Committee (commissioned by the UC system’s Office of the President).
Learning outcomes of the Webinar:
- Address the current state of Anti-Asian racism
- Discuss the historical relevance and context
- Explore different opportunities for all of us to practice allyship
Land Acknowledgement + Support Indigenous Communities
- Which indigenous land are you on? Find out here: https://native-land.ca
- Navajo Nation is the highest COVID-19 infected area in the US. A few of the organizations that are supporting native communities
Xenophobia and Anti-Asian Racism during COVID-19 (and beyond)
- Stop AAPI Hate Reporting Center – https://www.asianpacificpolicyandplanningcouncil.org/stop-aapi-hate/
- Learn History:
- PBS Asian Americans Documentary – https://www.pbs.org/show/asian-americans/
- Zinn Education Project – https://www.zinnedproject.org/
- The Making of Asian America by Erika Lee
- The Color of Success by Ellen D. Wu
- Modern day Asian American Activists to follow
- Mia Mingus – Disability and racial justice activist, blog: https://leavingevidence.wordpress.com/
- Ai-jen Poo – Leader, founder, and CEO of National Domestic Workers Alliance
- Liz Kleinrock – Instagram @teachandtransform, https://www.teachandtransform.org/
- Helen Zia – journalist, activist, writer, https://helenzia.com/
- Michelle Kim – Head Queen @ Awaken, Entrepreneur, Speaker, Activist, Instagram @michellekimkim
- Have more influential folks to add? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!