NSF Issues New Award Term and Condition to Address Sexual Harassment, Sexual Assault and Other Forms of Harassment
The National Science Foundation (NSF) recently published a new award term and condition aimed at improving awardee accountability by requiring that institutions notify NSF of:
- Any findings or determinations that demonstrate a violation of University policy or codes of conduct by a principal investigator or co-principal investigator relating to discriminatory harassment, including sexual harassment and sexual assault.
- The placement of the principal investigator or co-principal investigator on administrative leave relating to discriminatory harassment, including sexual harassment and sexual assault.
- Any administrative action taken by UCI related to a discriminatory harassment, sexual harassment or sexual assault finding or investigation that could impact the PI or co-PI’s ability to fulfill their responsibilities on the award.
This new requirement went into effect on October 21, 2018.
To learn more about NSF’s new award term and condition, as well as NSF’s efforts to address sexual harassment and the steps it’s taking to help ensure all NSF-funded research and learning environments are free from sexual harassment, please visit: https://www.nsf.gov/od/odi/harassment.jsp.
It is our understanding that the UC Office of the President is in the process of developing systemwide guidance in response to this new requirement. In the interim, the Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity (OEOD), Office of Academic Personnel (OAP), and the Office of Research (OR) will utilize current policies, procedures and practices to implement this requirement at UCI.
UCI is committed to fostering a community where everyone has the right to a safe learning and working environment free of sexual harassment, sexual assault, and other forms of harassment and discrimination. If you have any questions, inquiries or need to report an incidence of sexual harassment, sexual assault or other forms of discriminatory harassment – whether you experienced or witnessed such conduct– please contact OEOD and the number or e-mail noted below.
- Discrimination/Sexual Harassment Hotline: 949-824-7037
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Pramod Khargonekar, Ph.D.
Vice Chancellor for Research
Distinguished Professor of Electrical Engineering & Computer Science
Associate Chancellor – Equal Opportunity and Compliance
Office of Equal Opportunity & Diversity
Vice Provost for Academic Personnel